Monday, March 3, 2008

Mama is Back in Action

Hi all! Sorry I haven't written in a while, but my kids have been playing germ tag... seeing how many times they can pass the same cold back and forth. I really can't complain about their health because they are rarely sick, and even when they are they still want to go to school and church. It's just all of the nose blowing, doses of medicine and, of course, loads of special mama TLC that has kept me hoppin'.

Anyway, I'll give an update as quickly as I can while the little one takes a nap. Since my last post, I've been accepted into a wearable art show to be held on May 3rd in Shorewood, WI. There has still been no word on the other four shows that I applied to, but it's still pretty early. I'll let you know how it goes as I get the results, or you can check the "events" page on my website for more details.

I also had another metal smithing class last week at the Terri McCarthy Studios. During my second class, I met more people and got real friendly with the jump ring tool. Never again will I have to pay the high price for retail jump rings because I have figured out how to make my own. I made up several rings using 16 guage sterling silver wire and a #5 mandrel.


This gave me the opportunity to try a pattern in a book for a byzantine link chain. Here is a picture of my progress. Not too bad for the first time. In class, I also made a sterling silver disk pendant with a wide tube bail. It will look perfect on the chain when it is finished... if I must say so myself!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your silver work is amazing and wonderful!

moonandhare said...

Wow, that chain is so beautifully intricate! Wonderful work!

Kathryn & John said...

This is beautiful! I'm amazed that this is your first work.

Designing Hilary said...

Your byzantine looks great! Once the chainmaille bug bites ...

Skylight Contractors Edison said...

Thank you for beingg you